Applications for the National Youth Roundtable 2004 open
Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Larry Anthony, today invited young Australians to share their views and concerns by taking part in the National Youth Roundtable 2004.
“No one knows better than young people what it is like to grow up in Australia today and I encourage young Australians from all backgrounds to get involved and apply.
“50 members will be chosen to broadly reflect the circumstances and challenges of young Australians today.
“The Roundtable’s success stems from people voicing a variety of opinions and perspectives. You don’t have to be an academic high-flyer or sporting achiever to take part or make a significant contribution,” Mr Anthony said.
Members of four previous Roundtables have provided the Government with many valuable ideas that have since been implemented, including:
- a National Code of Good Practice for New Apprenticeships;
- the Australian Forum of Youth Organisations and the Youth.Comm email discussion group;
- the formation of the National Indigenous Youth Leadership Group;
- a youth category in the National Awards for Innovation and Recognition in Local Government;
- a register for young people wishing to take part in decision-making boards, committees and forums; and
- a booklet encouraging Indigenous young people to take up health careers, funded by the Department of Education, Science and Training.
Application forms are available on the source, the Australian Government’s website for young people. They can also be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling (free call) 1800 624 309.
Applications close 5:00pm 1 October 2003