Youth Enterprise Forum – Commonwealth First for Australia
Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Larry Anthony, today outlined details of the Creating Common Wealth Youth Enterprise Development Forum involving all Commowealth countries, to be held on the Sunshine Coast from 10 -13 November 2003.
“The Prime Minister will invite the 52 Commonwealth countries to send five delegates. The Coalition Government will provide funding for one youth delegate from each nation to attend the forum. This commitment clearly shows Australia is leading the way in the development of young entrepreneurs.
“It will be an opportunity for government, business, community and young people to come together to exchange ideas and develop plans for supporting young entrepreneurs from the Commonwealth of Nations creating better futures for themselves and their communities.
The Creating Common Wealth forum will be action focussed, working out how to:
- get more youth engaged in building business and income generating activities;
- further develop initiatives that support social enterprise creation and youth entrepreneurship;
- identify best practice and explore opportunities to build on and complement existing programs;
- support the development of partnerships between business, government, community and young people in the promotion and creation of enterprises in every Commonwealth country; and
- encourage awareness of social responsibility and its application in the creation and development of enterprise.
“Creating Common Wealth has already gained extensive support in Australia. Organisations such as the Business Council of Australia, the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Foundation for Young Australians are helping to plan the event.
“While this is very encouraging, for the forum to be successful we need the backing of many more Australian businesses.
“The Australian business community has an opportunity to provide valuable support to our young people and those of the Commonwealth who share our tradition and values,” Mr Anthony said.