Media Release by The Hon Larry Anthony MP

New publications to help separated parents

Title: Article Date: 30/08/2002
Page Content 1: Separation is a tough time for parents but they need to ensure that their children’s interests are put first Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Larry Anthony, said today.

Mr Anthony was speaking at a launch with the Chief Justice of the Family Court of Australia, Alastair Nicholson, of two new publications put together jointly by the Child Support Agency and the Family Court of Australia.

“During separation and divorce, the heat of the emotion can make parents lose sight of the most important thing – the welfare of their children. Anger and frustration too often takes over and parents forget that there are bigger issues to consider.

“But with help, most parents are able to move through separation without negative consequences for their children. These two new publications will help with this.

“Me and my Kids: parenting from a distance puts children first. It gives parents practical tips on how to stay connected with their children, work through decisions about their children with their former partner and how to look after themselves.

My family is separating – What now? promotes getting the right help early to help reduce conflict and emotional stress for parents and therefore for their children.

“This Sunday is Fathers Day and is a time to celebrate dads. However, we should acknowledge for many fathers it can be a sad day.

The rate of relationship breakdown is not slowing and there are an estimated 1.3 million children not living with both natural parents.

“Focusing on fathers adds the often missing part of the parenting equation. The important role father have requires more attention because children deserve good relationships with both of their parents wherever possible.

“If the readers of the two products adopt just a few of the helpful suggestions, separated parents will be more involved in their children’s’ lives,” Mr Anthony said.

My family is separating – What now? is available from the Child Support Agency, Family Court of Australia, Federal Magistrates Service, Centrelink and through a range of community services.

Me and my kids: parenting from a distance, is available from Child Support Agency, Family Court registries, Federal Magistrates Service, Centrelink , their websites and through a range of community services.