National Disability Awards finalists announced
Jenny Macklin, and Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities, Bill Shorten, today announced the 15 finalists for the 2008 National Disability Awards.
The National Disability Awards are held annually to coincide with International Day of People with Disability.
Ms Macklin said the finalists were outstanding Australians.
“These awards present an opportunity to recognise the achievements of people with disability, along with individuals who have helped improve the lives of people with disability in Australia,” Ms Macklin said.
“I congratulate all of the finalists for the fantastic impact they are having in their communities. ”
Finalists were chosen from around 240 nominations in the five award categories including Community Contribution, Young Community Contribution, Inclusion, Go Getter and Personal Achievement.
Award recipients will be announced at the National Disability Awards ceremony at Parliament House in Canberra on 3 December.
Mr Shorten said an independent judging panel from Our Community, Australian Federation of Disability Organisations and National Disability Services had the difficult task of selecting the finalists.
“The panel has a very tough job of picking the award recipients as this really is an excellent field”, Mr Shorten said.
“The finalists are certainly worthy of this honour and I look forward to celebrating their achievements in December.”
International Day of People with a Disability promotes awareness of people with disability and their achievements, contribution and experiences.
Communities across Australia are celebrating the day by holding local events and celebrations. To register an event, or to find out what’s happening in your community, go to International Day of People with Disability website (www.idpwd.com.au).
National Disability Award finalists
- Mark Bagshaw – Pyrmont – NSW
- Robin (Bobbie) Blackson – Annerley – Queensland
- Donald (Bill) Bradley – Hornsby – NSW
- Greg Killeen – Banksmeadow – NSW
Young Community Contribution
- Sam Broughton – Port Lincoln – SA
- Sarah Cullen – Toongabbie – NSW
- Ping Lian Yeak – Roseville – NSW
- Sarah Barton – Windsor – Victoria
- Katherine Fisher – Aberfoyle Park – SA
- Patricia Rix – Summertown – SA
- Alan Robertson – Whittington – Victoria
- Amethyst Barnbrook – Narooma – NSW
- Glenn Corbett – North Nowra – NSW
- Janice Daisley – Abbotsford – NSW
- Anne McDonald – Brunswick – Victoria