Funding for homelessness services in NSW
Australian Government funding of $933,000 will go towards supporting homelessness services in New South Wales.
The funding is part of the Innovation and Investment Plan under the Supported Accommodation Assistance Program (SAAP) V.
The services to receive the funding were announced today by Senator Nigel Scullion, Federal Minister for Community Services and Kevin Greene, New South Wales Minister for Community Services.
‘The Australian Government has recognised homelessness is a complex issue requiring varied solutions, and through SAAP, we are working to create flexible and practical solutions for individual communities,’ Senator Scullion said.
‘Today’s announcement is part of the approximate $930 million allocated in 2005 to SAAP V over five years and shows the Australian Government’s commitment to preventing and reducing homelessness in New South Wales.’
SAAP is Australia’s primary response to homelessness, established in 1985 to bring both Commonwealth and state/territory homelessness programs under one nationally coordinated program.
Under the SAAP V agreement, state, territory and Australian Governments agree on Innovation and Investment Fund activities.
‘These homelessness services receiving funding in New South Wales can now work towards developing more flexible models of service delivery, with increased opportunities for early intervention and post crisis support,’ Mr Greene said.
‘This is in line with the national strategic directions for SAAP V and this is a positive step for New South Wales in improving the problem of homelessness across our state.’
Attached are names of the New South Wales homelessness services which will receive funding under SAAP V.
New South Wales organisations to receive SAAP V Innovation and Investment funding
- Wesley Mission’s Edward Eagar Lodge, Surry Hills
- Penshurst Street Community Youth Homes (Chatswood) and Phoenix House Youth Accommodation (Crows Nest)
- Nick Kearns House, Bankstown
- Hebersham Aboriginal Youth Service (HAYS), Hebersham
- Fusion Accommodation Support Services (FASS), St Mary’s
- Wanbinga Youth Accommodation Services Inc, Doonside
- Maitland and Westlake Youth Services
- Newcastle Youth Accommodation Services Ltd
- Central Coast (tba)
- Far North Coast Accommodation and Brokerage Services
- Hastings Women’s and Children’s Refuge, Port Macquarie
- Macleay Youth Accommodation Service, West Kempsey
- Edel Quinn Homeless Men’s Service, Wagga Wagga
- NSW Women’s Refuge Movement Working Party