$116 million for disability business services across Australia
Up to 18,000 people with disability will continue to be supported in their employment with $116 million in Australian Government funding over the next four years as part of the Federal Budget 2007-08.
The Minister for Community Services, Senator the Hon. Nigel Scullion, today announced a continuation of case based funding for 220 disability business services across Australia.
‘This continued funding will enable disability business services to continue to provide supported employment to people with severe and profound disabilities,’ Senator Scullion said.
‘The Australian Government recognises the value of providing employment opportunities for people with disability and by continuing this funding we are enabling more people to actively participate in their community.
‘The case based funding model ensures funding allocated to business services meets the needs of people with disabilities.
‘With support from the Australian Government, the continuation of this funding will continue to help businesses, as well as providing employment for people with disability,’ Senator Scullion said.
Disability business services – continuation of case-based funding model
Why is this important?
- This measure continues the Australian Government’s application of the case based funding model to disability business services that provide supported employment to workers with more severe and profound disabilities.
- The case based funding model was introduced to ensure that levels of funding are more closely matched to the support needs of workers with disabilities. The model also provides a fairer and more transparent approach to Government funding.
Who will benefit?
- Around 18,000 people with severe or profound disabilities in over 220 disability business services will be assured of continued support in their employment.
What funding is the Government committing to the initiative?
- $116 million over four years.
What have we done in the past?
- This is a continuation of an existing program. The Department of Employment and Workplace Relations uses a similar funding model for supporting people with less severe disabilities in the open employment market.
When will the initiative conclude?
- This is an ongoing measure.