National Housing Supply Council members announced
Tanya Plibersek, today welcomed the Prime Minister’s announcement of the eight members of the National Housing Supply Council.
Ms Plibersek said: ‘This follows the announcement last week that Dr Owen Donald had been appointed as the first Chair of the National Housing Supply Council.
‘I am pleased that such a well-qualified group, with expertise in finance, building, skills, planning and urban development have agreed to work with Dr Donald as members of the new Council.
‘The Council is an important new initiative that will help the Government assess current and future demand for housing across Australia.
‘If we can better target supply to meet demand, then we can go a long way to improving housing affordability for Australians and their families.’
The eight members of the National Housing Supply Council will be:
- Mr Brendan Crotty, former Managing Director of Australand.
- Mr Saul Eslake, ANZ Chief Economist.
- Ms Sue Holliday, former Director General of Planning NSW.
- Mr Chris Lamont, HIA Chief Executive – Policy.
- Mr Marcus Spiller, Director SGS Economics.
- Ms Marion Thompson, WA Urban Development Coordinator.
- Mr Stuart Wilson, Managing Director of Wilson Homes.
- Ms Judy Yates, one of Australia’s pre-eminent housing researchers.
The Council will publish an annual State of Supply report to analyse the adequacy of construction rates and land supply for the next 20 years.
The report will coordinate local, state and national supply and demand information and adopt a consistent, national standard for measuring and assessing the supply of land and housing.
It will examine issues like demographic change, the impact of migration, market distortions, construction and availability of a diversity of housing, structural barriers to the release of land and zoning approval, and the construction of new housing.