Annual Progress Report on Implementation of Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse Recommendations
Our Government has today tabled the first Annual Progress Report.
The Report highlights the progress being made across the Australian Government to implement the recommendations made in the Royal Commission’s Final Report presented to the Governor-General in December 2017.
Since the release of the Final Report, significant progress has been made. Action is being taken on all recommendations where the Australian Government is responsible, with work continuing in partnership with states and territories to ensure children are safe from abuse in institutional care.
Key achievements as outlined in the Annual Progress Report include:
- Establishing the National Office for Child Safety – July 2018
- Commencement of the National Redress Scheme – July 2018
- Finalising the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations for Council of Australian Government endorsement and developing National Standards for Working with Children Checks with states and territories
- Opening the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation – July 2018
- National Apology to Victims and Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse – October 2018
- Implementing the Commonwealth Child Safe Framework across Australian Government entities.
The Prime Minister has also written to all institutions from which the National Redress Scheme has received applications demanding they sign up urgently.
The redress scheme is an important part of acknowledging the harm caused, and holding institutions to account. Institutions need to meet their obligations to the community.
While the Royal Commission’s report is focused on the issue of abuse in institutions, measures are being implemented with a broader focus on child protection, wellbeing and safety.
Children should always feel safe and be protected from abuse.
State and Territory Governments and other institutions will produce their own annual reports outlining their progress in implementing the recommendations that apply to them.
As the Report highlights, work on the implementation of the Royal Commission’s recommendations such as the development and implementation of a national strategy to prevent child sexual abuse will continue in 2019 and beyond.
To find out more about what the Australian Government is doing to protect our children visit: www.childabuseroyalcommissionresponse.gov.au.