Giving people with disability a voice
People with disability will now have a greater opportunity to be part of the debate, conversation and policy-making for a more inclusive Australia.
Minister for Families and Social Services Paul Fletcher today announced 33 organisations will benefit from grants of up to $10,000 to help people with disability and their carers attend disability-related conferences.
Mr Fletcher said it is vital that the voices of people with disability and their carers are included and heard at a national, state and local level.
“By assisting with conference fees, accommodation and travel costs, these grants will enable more people to participate in important disability-related conferences through to 30 June 2019,” Mr Fletcher said.
Assistant Minister for Social Services, Housing and Disability Services Sarah Henderson said the grants worth $312,349 were part of the Government’s National Disability Conference Initiative promoting inclusive and accessible communities as part of the National Disability Strategy 2010-2020.
“These grants will also provide services and equipment for people while attending conferences such as Auslan interpreters, assistive computer devices and software, aids and appliances,” Ms Henderson said.
For more information on the National Disability Conference Initiative, go to www.dss.gov.au .
The 33 organisations receiving grants are:
- Angelman Syndrome Association Australia
- Aus Docc Inc.
- Australasian Society for Intellectual Disability Ltd
- Australian Mitochondrial Disease Foundation Limited
- Australian Rehabilitation And Assistive Technology Association Inco
- Australian Sign Language Interpreters Association
- Australian Tertiary Education Network On Disability (Atend) Incorporated
- Autism Spectrum Australia (ASPECT)
- Blind Citizens Australia
- Deakin University – The Inclusive Education Summit
- Disability Employment Australia
- Griffith University – The Hopkins Research Centre Bold Ideas Better Solutions
- Hear And Say – Centre For Deaf Children Limited
- Hemispherectomy Foundation Australia Inc.
- International Society For Augmentative And Alternative Communication (Isaac)-Aus
- Limbs 4 Life Incorporated
- Lipoedema Australia Ltd
- Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia Incorporated
- Metabolic Dietary Disorders Association Inc.
- Motor Neurone Disease Association of Australia Incorporated
- National Stroke Foundation
- Parkinson’s South Australia Incorporated
- People with Multiple Sclerosis (Vic) Inc.
- Round Table on Information Access for People with Print Disabilities Incorporate
- Save our Sons Inc.
- Short Statured People of Australia Incorporated
- Source Kids Limited
- Speak Out Association of Tasmania Incorporated
- Telethon Kids Institute
- The Immune Deficiency Foundation Of Australia Limited
- The Myositis Association – Australia
- Tourette Syndrome Association of Australia
- Tuberous Sclerosis Australia Incorporated