Nominations closing for Disability Awards
Nominations will close soon for the 2017 National Disability Awards, which recognise the tireless work of people to improve the lives of 4.3 million Australians with disability.
The Hon. Jane Prentice MP, Assistant Minister for Social Services and Disability Services, today urged the community to nominate for the Awards before they close on 6 August 2017.
“Now is the time to nominate and I encourage those who have had a profound and positive impact on the lives of people with disability to act now,” Mrs Prentice said.
The Awards will showcase best practice and awareness through five award categories:
- Lesley Hall Leadership Award – recognises excellence in development of reform opportunities that improve the lives of people with disability.
- Employer of the Year Award – recognises excellence in workforce diversity by providing sustainable employment opportunities for people with disability.
- Community Excellence Award – recognises excellence in improving access and participation in Australian life for people with disability.
- Excellence in Innovation Award – recognises excellence in innovation in services, places, communities or accessible technologies to improve the lives of people with disability.
- Excellence in Education and Training Award – recognises excellence in inclusive education or vocational training that delivers improved economic and social outcomes for people with disability.
Peter Wilson of Determined2 Immersion Therapy Services, one of last year’s winners, said the honour really opened his eyes to what it means to be inclusive.
At Determined2, participants experience a unique, and exciting program that enables people with disability or medical condition to experience freedom of movement in a weightless environment.
“After the Awards, I felt an overwhelming desire to advocate for not just inclusion and equality, but equity. I do not want to be someone’s voice, just the motivator for them to find theirs, along with opening the door to those who need to hear it,” Mr Wilson said.
Nominations for the Award categories close on 6 August 2017 at 11.59pm AEST and finalists will be announced in early October. Award winners will be announced at an Awards ceremony in Canberra on 3 December 2017.
To find out more or to submit a nomination, visit www.idpwd.com.au