David Tune to Chair Abbott Government’s Aged Care Sector Committee
The Assistant Minister for Social Services, Senator Mitch Fifield, today announced the appointment of Mr David Tune AO PSM as Chair of the Government’s Aged Care Sector Committee.
“I’m delighted that David Tune will replace Peter Shergold as the independent Chair of the Aged Care Sector Committee,” Minister Fifield said.
“Mr Tune will lead the Committee in its important work providing advice to the Australian Government on the future of aged care.”
A former Secretary of the Department of Finance and Administration, Mr Tune has also held many senior positions in the Australian Public Service working across economic and social policy portfolios.
Minister Fifield said that the appointment of Mr Tune will ensure the Aged Care Sector Committee is well placed to continue to provide advice to Government on aged care policy implementation.
“Mr Tune’s appointment is also a reflection of this Government’s commitment to ongoing aged care reform, and the importance of financial expertise to the reform agenda,” Minister Fifield said.
Mr Tune has extensive experience developing significant policy reform, and was awarded the Public Service Medal. He was also recently appointed Officer of the Order of Australia for his distinguished service to public administration and policy work.
“As the Chair of the Aged Care Sector Committee, Mr Tune will provide strong leadership for a diverse representative group that provides advice to the Australian Government on meeting the needs of an ageing population.”
“Mr Tune will join Committee members that have been drawn from peak bodies representing providers across residential and home care, for-profit and not-for-profit providers, consumers, carers and workforce representatives,” Minister Fifield said.
Aged Care Sector Committee Membership
- Mr David Tune AO PSM, Chair
- Mr Gary Barnier, Managing Director, Opal Aged Care
- Ms Carol Bennett, CEO, Alzheimer’s Australia
- Ms Ara Cresswell, CEO, Carers Australia
- Mr Louis Dudley, Managing Director, Bupa Aged Care Services
- Ms Suzanne Greenwood, CEO, Catholic Health Australia
- Ms Judy Gregurke, Head, Secretariat Aged Care Reforms, National Aged Care Alliance
- Ms Lin Hatfield Dodds, National Director, UnitingCare Australia
- Ms Netty Horton, Territorial Social Programme Director, Salvation Army
- Adj. Prof John Kelly AM, CEO, Aged and Community Services Australia
- Mr Michael O’Neill, Chief Executive, National Seniors Australia
- Mr Patrick Reid, CEO, Leading Age Services Australia
- Ms Carolyn Smith, A/g Deputy Secretary, Department of Social Services
- Ms Lee Thomas, Federal Secretary, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation
- Mr Ian Yates AM, CEO, COTA Australia
- Ms Lynda O’Grady, Chairman, Aged Care Financing Authority (ex-officio member)