Nominate for the National Disability Awards 2008
Nominations are now open for the National Disability Awards 2008.
Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs , Jenny Macklin and Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities and Children’s Services, Bill Shorten, today officially opened nominations, saying they were looking forward to the awards surpassing last year’s inaugural awards.
“These Awards celebrate and acknowledge the achievements and contributions individuals with disability make to our community, as well as recognise individuals who have contributed to the disability sector,” Ms Macklin said.
“The presentation of the Awards will again coincide with the Australian Government’s celebration of International Day of People with Disability.
“I am also pleased to announce the Ambassadors for International Day of People with Disability, 2008: Emmah Money, Milly Parker and Sam Bailey.
“These three inspiring individuals highlight the contribution people with disability make to our country.”
“Last year’s Awards generated an amazing response, with over 290 nominations received,” Mr Shorten said.
“An independent judging panel will assess the nominations, and finalists will travel to the award ceremony on 3 December, 2008.
“Minister Macklin and I were lucky enough to attend the gala event last year. I’m excited to be involved and look forward to congratulating the inspirational recipients again this year.”
All Australians can nominate someone they know in one of the following categories:
- Community Contribution Award for a person with disability who has made a significant contribution to their community
- Young Community Contribution Award for a young person (between 12 and 25 years) with disability who has made a significant contribution to their community
- Inclusion Award for a person who has made a significant contribution to improving the lives of people with disability
- Go Getter Award for a young person (between 12 and 25 years) who has made a significant contribution to improving the lives of people with disability
- Personal Achievement Award for a person, either with disability or caring for someone with disability, who has overcome adversity to achieve personal goals
Nominations close 9 May. Further information regarding the awards can be found at International Day of People with Disability website (www.idpwd.com.au) or by calling 1800 440 385.