Free broadband internet for seniors
The Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, Jenny Macklin, today unveiled the first of the Australian Government’s free internet kiosks for seniors at the Melbourne Legacy Club.
Under the Australian Government’s Broadband for Seniors initiative, $15 million is being invested over three years to install up to 2000 kiosks across the country.
Forty-two kiosks are already operating, with many in regional and rural areas. Over the coming months hundreds of kiosks will be online across the country.
People aged 50 and over will be better connected to family, friends and the technological age with free computer training and internet access available across Australia.
Only one in five Australians over the age of 65 years currently uses the internet.
Many older Australians are missing out on the ease of staying in touch with family and friends online.
Broadband for Seniors will bring older Australians together to learn about computers and share their experiences, giving them the confidence to get online.
The kiosks are accessible to all seniors, including older citizens with disabilities and those from culturally and linguistically diverse communities, through the use of specific language software and assistive technology.
The Australian Government, NEC Australia, Adult Learning Australia, the Australian Seniors Computer Clubs Association and the University of the Third Age Online are working together to provide this free service.
We are currently looking for more community organisations to host kiosks, including computers, a broadband internet service and training materials.
Live Broadband for Seniors kiosks
New South Wales
- Dougherty Community Centre, Chatswood, NSW
- Polish Association & Seniors Cabramatta, Canley Vale, NSW
- Cynthia Street Neighbourhood Centre, Bateau Bay, NSW
- Cooinda Aged Care, Coonabarabran, NSW
- Tingha Regeneration Inc, Tingha, NSW
- Mungindi CTC, Mungindi, NSW
- CTC Bulahdelah, Bulahdelah, NSW
- Catholic Care of the Aged, Port Macquarie, NSW
- North Coast Computer Project, Macksville, NSW
- Bowraville Technology Centre, Bowraville NSW
- Boambee Gardens Estate, Sawtell, NSW
- Sawtell Catholic Care of the Aged, Toormina, NSW
- Lismore Neighbourhood Centre, Lismore, NSW
- CPSA Dapto Seniors Club, Dapto, NSW
- CTC Sussex Inlet, Sussex Inlet, NSW
- Eden Community Access Centre, Eden, NSW
- Delegate Progress Association, Delegate, NSW
- Intereach Albury, Albury, NSW
- Intereach Buronga, Buronga, NSW
- Nepean Community College, Penrith, NSW
- Narromine Community Services Centre, Narromine, NSW
- Blackheath Area Neighbourhood Centre, Blackheath, NSW
- Springwood Neighbourhood Centre, Springwood, NSW
- African Seniors Club, QLD
- Logan Area Committee, Logan Central, QLD
- North Lakes Retirement Resort, North Lakes, QLD
- Pomona Community House, Pomona, QLD
- Fancy That Op Shop, Gympie QLD
- Tiaro District Community Centre Inc, Tiaro, QLD
- Hervey Bay Senior Citizens Club, Hervey Bay, QLD
- John Martin House, North Plymton, SA
- Aldinga Community Centre, Aldinga Beach, SA
- Melbourne Legacy Club, Melbourne, VIC
- Melita Social Club, Coburg, VIC
- Watsonia Neighbourhood House, Watsonia, VIC
- Ocean Grove Senior Citizens Centre, Ocean Grove, VIC
- Anglesea & Aireys Inlet Senior Citizens Club, Anglesea, VIC
- U3A Sunraysia, Mildura, VIC
- Emerald Evergreens Senior Citizens, Emerald, VIC
- Golden Beach Community Hall, Golden Beach, VIC
- Manjimup Public Library, Manjimup, WA
- Greenbushes Telecentre Inc, Greenbushes, WA