New funding to help communities commemorate National Apology anniversary
Indigenous communities and organisations across the country are encouraged to apply for Australian Government funding to help them commemorate and celebrate the fifth anniversary of the National Apology to Australia’s Indigenous Peoples.
The Government is providing $100,000 to the Healing Foundation to support community-led activities. Groups can apply for amounts of $500 and $1,000 to hold grassroots events in their communities on or around the anniversary of the National Apology on 13 February next year.
The funding will help organisations to:
- Commemorate the National Apology to Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and, in particular, the Stolen Generations;
- Celebrate the people, programs and activities that are healing and strengthening communities;
- Raise awareness of the National Apology and tell the story of the Stolen Generations;
- Highlight the history and issues faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities and the healing that has taken place; and
- Bring together communities, young and old, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, to celebrate Indigenous contributions to Australian life.
The Government’s National Apology on behalf of all Australians on 13 February 2008 was a formal acknowledgement of the profound pain and suffering caused by past government policies and practices.
The Government has committed more than $26 million to establish the Healing Foundation, an Indigenous-run organisation that supports the development of successful models to address trauma and healing for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The commemoration of the National Apology provides an important opportunity to celebrate the people, programs and activities that have helped in the healing process for Stolen Generations and communities.
Applications for the Healing Foundation’s funding round close on 13 December, with successful applicants expected to be notified by 20 December 2012.
For more information, visit the Healing Foundation’s website at: www.healingfoundation.org.au