Media Release by The Hon Jenny Macklin MP

Supporting new parents in McEwen

Joint Media Release with:

  • Rob Mitchell MP Member for McEwen

The Minister for Families, Jenny Macklin, and Member for McEwen, Rob Mitchell, today visited new mums in Doreen in Melbourne’s north-east to discuss how the Gillard Government is supporting families.

From January 1 this year new families have been able to access extra support when they need it most, with the introduction of Dad and Partner Pay.

So far, 51 dads in McEwen have claimed Dad and Partner Pay.

Dad and Partner Pay gives eligible working dads and same-sex partners two weeks of Government-funded pay at the rate of the national minimum wage (currently about $606 per week before tax), for children born or adopted.

It extends the Gillard Government’s successful Paid Parental Leave scheme which has helped about 250,000 working parents – mostly mums – since it started in 2011.

Ms Macklin said new dads were enjoying the support to spend more time with their newborn.

“I’m proud to be supporting dads and partners spend quality time with their new babies,” Ms Macklin said.

“Families in this day and age want dad to have the chance to spend time at home with mum and baby – it’s good for the whole family.”

The Member for McEwen, Rob Mitchell said this was the first time that many dads had access to paid leave.

“The Gillard Government’s Dad and Partner Pay gives dads some extra support to take time off to bond with their baby and help mum recover from the birth,” said Mr Mitchell.

To be eligible, dads and same-sex partners must be Australian residents, and:

  • have worked at least 330 hours (just over one day a week) in 10 of the 13 months before the start of their payment;
  • have earned $150,000 or less in the previous financial year; and
  • be on unpaid leave or not working and be caring for their child during their two weeks of Dad and Partner Pay.

Dads and same-sex partners can be eligible for the payment even if their partner is not receiving the Government’s Paid Parental Leave. Claims must be lodged by the dad or partner who is eligible to receive the payment.

For more information visit