Tasmanians to find out more about DisabilityCare Australia
Tasmanians can learn more about DisabilityCare Australia, the National Disability Insurance Scheme, at a number of upcoming information forums across the state.
Federal Minister for Disability Reform, Jenny Macklin and Tasmanian Minister for Human Services, Cassy O’Connor encouraged people with disability, their families and carers to attend the forums to receive important information on the launch of DisabilityCare Australia.
“DisabilityCare Australia, the National Disability Insurance Scheme, will fundamentally change the way we support people with disability,” Ms Macklin said.
“This historic reform will provide people with disability, their families and carers with the support they need, when they need it.
“The Commonwealth has invested $1 billion in the first stage, which will launch in five sites across Australia and we are pleased Tasmania is playing a part in this important reform.
“The local information forums will allow service providers, people with disability, their families and carers and the general public to learn more about this important initiative.”
“This is one of the most significant economic and social reforms Australia has seen since the introduction of Medicare,” Ms O’Connor said.
“Our role as a launch site will enhance the support and services available to around 1,000 Tasmanians with a disability aged between 15 and 24 from July.
“DisabilityCare Australia will give these young people increased control and choice over the support they need to participate in our community.”
The Tasmanian Government has committed an additional $2 million on top of the $17.9 million that it currently spends on disability services for this age group.
The upcoming information sessions will be held at:
- Glenorchy: Monday 22 April 2013, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm;Terry Martin Senior Room, Glenorchy Civic Centre, Cooper Street
- New Norfolk: Monday 22 April, 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm; New Norfolk RSL, 30 George Street
- Queenstown: Monday 22 April, 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm; West Coast Council Chambers, 11 Sticht Street
- Mornington: Tuesday 23 April, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm; Citywide Baptist Church and Venue, 400 Cambridge Road
- Burnie: Tuesday 23 April, 11:30 am to 1:00 pm; Braddon Hall, Burnie Arts and Function Centre, Wilmot Street
- Latrobe: Tuesday 23 April, 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm; Memorial Hall/Performing Arts Centre, Gilbert Street
- Huonville: Wednesday 24 April 2013, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm; Apple Room, Huon Linc, 1 Skinner Drive
- Smithton: Wednesday 24 April, 11:30 am to 1:00 pm; Training Room, Wyndarra Centre, 43 Smith Street
- Oatlands: Friday 26 April 2013, 11:00 am to 12:30 pm; Midland Initiative Local Enterprise, 68 High Street
- George Town: Monday 29 April, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm; Council Memorial Hall, 29-67 Macquarie Street
- Deloraine: Tuesday 30 April, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm; Deloraine Community Complex, Alveston Drive
- St Helens: Wednesday 1 May, 11:00 am to 12:30 pm; St Helens Day Care Centre, Circassian Street
- Launceston: Wednesday 1 May, 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm; The Boat House, 55a Lindsay Street, Invermay
Ms O’Connor said the Tasmanian Government would continue to provide services and support to people with disability who are outside the targeted age group for the NDIS launch.
Further information about the forums can be found at http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/disability/national_disability_insurance_scheme or by telephoning the NDIS Launch Transition Agency on 6233 8551.