Energy saver scheme for vulnerable Australians set to start
The organisations that will provide financially vulnerable Australians with the tools to be more energy efficient have been selected, the Minister for Community Services, Julie Collins, said today.
“Preparations are well underway for the rollout of the Home Energy Saver Scheme with the appointment of 19 not-for-profit organisations to deliver the program,” Ms Collins said.
“We are providing this extra help to the most financially vulnerable Australians to improve household energy efficiency and to reduce their energy costs.”
The Home Energy Saver Scheme is part of the Australian Government’s plan for a Clean Energy Future.
The Scheme will provide $29.9 million over four years to support low-income households across Australia.
“The not-for-profit organisations will deliver these energy efficiency services to around 100,000 low-income households,” Ms Collins said.
“This will include in-depth assistance through home visits by trained workers to around 50,000 households facing financial and energy hardship.
“They will provide financially vulnerable Australians with the tools to be more energy efficient.
“Householders will also have access to advice, support and referral to financial products such as the No Interest Loans Scheme to enable them to make longer term energy efficiency improvements,” Ms Collins said.
The selected organisations will now focus on recruitment and training in preparation for the commencement of the Home Energy Saver Scheme from 1 July 2012.
Kildonan Uniting Care has been chosen as the National Coordinator of the Scheme.
“The formal selection process is now complete and I congratulate all the successful organisations,” Ms Collins said.
The organisations are:
- Kildonan UnitingCare
- Anglicare North Coast
- Anglicare Tasmania
- Anglicare WA
- Australian Red Cross
- Bridging the Gap Sydney West Inc
- Creating Links Co-operative Ltd
- Financial Counselling Hunter Valley Project Inc
- Geraldton Resource Centre Inc
- Gosford City Community and Information Service Ltd
- Granville Multicultural Community Centre Inc
- Murwillumbah Community Centre Inc
- Regional Housing Limited
- The Trustee for the Salvation Army (NSW) Property Trust
- The Trustees for the Roman Catholic Church of the Diocese of Wilcannia-Forbes (CentaCare Wilcannia-Forbes)
- UnitingCare Wesley Adelaide Inc.
- UnitingCare Wesley Country SA
- Uniting Church in Australia Property Trust (Q) (UnitingCare Community)
- Youth and Family Service (Logan City) Inc
For further information, visit www.fahcsia.gov.au