New national centre to reduce violence against women
The Federal Minister for the Status of Women, Julie Collins, and NSW Minister for Women, Pru Goward, have today announced funding of $3 million a year for a new National Centre of Excellence that will focus on reducing domestic, family and sexual violence.
The Centre will be based in Sydney and begins operating from January 1 as part of a collaborative project between the Commonwealth and States and Territories.
The proposal was accepted by the Select Council on Women’s Issues meeting in Hobart last week and is a key component of the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children 2012-22.
“The Centre will develop a national research agenda to improve policy and service delivery in the prevention of violence against women across Australia,” Ms Collins said.
“Researchers, policy makers and practitioners in these fields will be able to link-up and provide evidence based responses to reduce domestic, family and sexual violence.
“The Commonwealth Government will provide an initial $1 million to establish the centre and $1.5 million in each following year,” Ms Collins said.
Ms Goward said States and Territories will contribute on a per capita basis.
“The NSW Government is providing over $491,000 of funding for the Centre each year, with an additional amount of up to $150,000 in cash or kind to assist with the establishment of the centre,” Ms Goward said.
“We will play an active role with other States and Territories to shape the activities of the Centre and the research conducted.
“The centre will provide the critical infrastructure that we need to tackle and address violence against women and their children.”
Consultations with the sector throughout Australia endorsed the need for the establishment of a Centre for Excellence.